A meaty tuna steak topped with a fresh, spicy, almond-studded tomato sauce.
Four 6-ounce tuna steaks
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 plum tomato, cut in half and seeds removed
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1/4 cup blanched almonds
• 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato
• 1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper
• 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
Season tuna with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to cook. Roughly chop the tomato.
In a skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and almonds and sauté until the garlic turns golden but not too brown.
Add the plum tomato, sun-dried tomato, roasted red pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Cook until the tomato is soft. Let cool.
Place the tomato mixture in a blender and puree until smooth.
Remove to a bowl and stir in the vinegar and parsley.
To cook the tuna, spray the fillets lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
Heat a nonstick skillet or grill to high heat.
Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side depending on thickness and desired degree of doneness.
NUTRITION IN A BOX
Per 6-ounce tuna and 1/4 cup sauce:
• Calories: 285
• Fat: 10 g (< 1 g EPA, < 1 g DHA, • Saturated Fat: 1 g
• Cholesterol: 77 mg
• Sodium: 307 mg
• Carbohydrate: 6 g
• Dietary Fiber: 2 g
• Sugars: 2 g
• Protein: 43 g
Original Source: Dr. Janet