Slow Cooker Bean and Turkey Chili
Serve warm over brown rice and garnished with a touch of shredded soy cheddar cheese.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1.25 pounds extra lean ground turkey breast
- 2 (26.46 ounce) containers no salt added Pomi chopped tomatoes
- 2 (16 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn (defrosted)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ tablespoon garlic power
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- salt to taste, optional
Heat oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium high heat until garlic is light golden brown. Place turkey in the skillet and cook until evenly browned. Coat the inside of a slow cooker with non-stick spray. Mix together turkey, crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, onion and corn. Season with chili powder, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, and allspice and blend.
Cover and cook 4 hours on High (or 8 hours on Low).
Serve hot over brown rice and topped with two tablespoons shredded soy cheddar cheese.
Per serving (~1 cup):
- Calories: 356
- Fat: 6 g (0 g EPA, 0 g DHA, 0 g ALA)
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 2 mg
- Sodium: 29 mg
- Carbohydrate: 59 g
- Dietary Fiber: 21 g
- Sugars: 11 g
- Protein: 19 g